08000 93 00 94
Call us for employee legal advice today
08000 93 00 94 Enquire Now
Parental Rights Advice and Support

Find out how we can help

Parental Rights Advice and Support

Wherever you are, we'll help you know where you stand.

As a parent or carer you are entitled to have time off following the birth or adoption of your child and to make a request for flexible working. This might be a change to your hours, flexi-time, home working, job-sharing, self-rostering, shift working, staggered hours, part-time working and term-time working.

today for no obligation advice on parental rights.

It is important to note that it is a right to apply for flexible working and for your request to be properly considered. There is no automatic right to a new working pattern.

Who can make a request?

All employees who have 26 weeks' service will be able to submit a flexible working request. Agency workers do not have the right to make a statutory request.

You are limited to one statutory application every twelve months.

How should I make the request?

There is a statutory procedure set out in the legislation. You must make the request in writing, setting out:

  • What changes you require to your working conditions, and when you would like the change to come into effect.
  • What effect you think the change would have on your employer and how, in your opinion, any such effect might be dealt with.
  • That this is a statutory request and whether you have made a previous application for flexible working, and if so, the date of that application.

However, as you are limited to one statutory request for flexible working each year, it may be better to see if your request can be accommodated informally first.

How should my employer deal with my request?

Employers are required to consider requests objectively and in a "reasonable manner". They must notify you of their decision within 3 months of the request being made, unless an extension is agreed.

Problems arise when the flexibility you need as a mother, father or carer do not always correspond with what your employer requires of you as an employee. You employer can only reject your request on one or more of the following grounds.

  • the burden of additional costs
  • a detrimental effect on an ability to meet customer demand
  • an inability to re-organise work among existing staff
  • an inability to recruit additional staff
  • a detrimental impact on quality
  • a detrimental impact on performance
  • insufficient work during the period you want to work
  • planned structural changes

If your request is rejected, we can help you challenge the decision.

Tribunals will award compensation of up to 15 weeks' pay if your flexible working request has not been considered properly or fairly. In the worst cases, a failure to comply with the law can lead to a loss of trust and confidence and resignation with potential claims for discrimination and constructive unfair dismissal.

If you have been unable to come to an agreement that suits you both, we will help assess your rights, and options to get the working pattern you want.

Where Next?

Constructive Dismissal Claims

Constructive Dismissal Claims

Our dismissal team can help you secure compensation if you have been a victim of mistreatment by your employers.

Sex Discrimination Claims

Sex Discrimination Claims

If you have missed out on a job, are being paid less or not being treated equally because of your gender, then laws are in place to protect you.

Funding options for our advice

There are a number of different funding types in place which can be used to pay for the advice we provide for parental rights.

Our legal advisors are on hand to help with any queries regarding the various funding arrangements that are available.

You can find out more information about funding types by using the links below:-

Specialist Employment Lawyers

Our specialist employment team are experienced across a vast range of employment law areas. From dealing with work dismissals to wage disputes, our team will able to provide support to cater any of your needs.


Our Client Quality Rating
Spencers Employment Law Solicitors Client Quality Rating
4.2 out of 5 from
What Next?
Online Advice Enquiry

Online Enquiry

Send through questions you have regarding your parental rights and we'll do our best to advise

Telephone Advice Enquiry

08000 93 00 94

Call an advisor to discuss the details of your parental rights



Follow on Twitter Follow on Facebook Follow on Linkedin Follow on Google Email  

Spencers Solicitors Logo
© 2016 Spencers Solicitors Limited trading as Spencers Solicitors. Registered in England and Wales No. 06059110. Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (No. 00466097). This website uses cookies to store information on your device, please read our privacy policy for further details and on how to opt out. Sitemap.