Sex Discrimination

If you have missed out on a job, are being paid less or not being treated equally because you are a woman then laws are in place to protect you. Wherever you are, we can help establish whether you have grounds to take action and help you to enforce your rights.

ENQUIRE ONLINE   for no obligation advice on making a discrimination claim.

I am not being treated fairly. What can I do?

Even though it is has been unlawful since the 1970s, some employers continue to treat men and women differently without a fair reason. This might include dismissing you because you are pregnant or not properly considering your request to change your working pattern to something that reflects your family commitments.

Both men and women can experience sex discrimination and both are equally protected by the law

If you are being discriminated against or harassed because someone at work is behaving in an offensive manner, it does not matter if the discrimination was deliberately aimed at you, how long you have worked there or whether you are still employed. You are still able to enforce your rights or make a claim in a Tribunal - but you need to act promptly to preserve your rights.

How can I make a sex discrimination claim?

Ideally you should try and address the problem by speaking to your employer first, either informally or by raising a grievance, but we know there are times when the situation may be so intolerable that there is no alternative but to resign. In some circumstances you may be able to claim constructive unfair dismissal. Getting legal advice quickly from an expert is essential. If you wish to leave we can help negotiate an exit before you resign, avoiding the risk of putting your financial security in danger, or help you to try to remove the difficulties you are working under. You can find out more about constructive dismissal here.

Unlike in unfair dismissal claims, there is no ceiling on the amount of compensation a Tribunal can award if someone has been discriminated against. The award will normally include compensation for the injury to your feelings and to take account of any losses you have suffered - such as wages or your pension. The size of the awards in sex discrimination cases varies. The average award in 2014-15 was £23,478.

Employment law has strict time limits. Good cases can be lost before they even start through hesitation or delay. In most cases you will have to notify ACAS of a potential claim within three months of your employment ending or the last discriminatory event. It is important you get in contact with us as soon as possible so we can help before it is too late. You can find out how we can help you with our fixed fee Acas Early Conciliation service here.

Funding your sex discrimination claim

When obtaining sex / gender discrimination advice, there are a number of different funding methods available for our work.

If you have any queries regarding options available, call our legal advisors today on 08000 93 00 94 or complete our short online enquiry form.

How can I obtain further legal advice?

Contact us today so we can help you to stop the way you are being treated, settle your case or take steps to issue a claim before it is too late. To speak with our team, call 08000 93 00 94 or fill out or simple online enquiry form and let our advisors contact you when suitable.

How can we help?

Funding your sex discrimination claim

When obtaining sex / gender discrimination advice, there are a number of different funding methods available for our work. Please click the button below to find out more information about the funding types available.

View Funding Options

Contact Us Today

Our offices are conveniently located near to Chesterfield town centre & fully equipped with onsite meeting facilities, disabled access and free parking.

  08000 93 00 94

  Drop into our offices

  Online Enquiry