April 20, 2020
So, today is the day - the portal is now live for employers who have furloughed staff to claim the grant.
For clarity, you will be able to claim for 80% of your furloughed staff salaries, up to a maximum of 2,500 per month, through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.
The end of the scheme has been extended until the end of June 2020.
Before you make a claim you will need to gather all of the precise calculations you need to input into the portal. This includes:
- to be registered for PAYE online
- your UK bank account number and sort code
- your employer PAYE scheme reference number
- the number of employees being furloughed
- each employee’s National Insurance number
- each employee’s payroll or employee number
- the start date and end date of the claim
- the full amount you’re claiming for including employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum pension contributions
- your phone number
You also need to provide either:
- your Corporation Tax unique taxpayer reference
- your Self -Assessment unique taxpayer reference
- your company registration number
You can find out more in the calculation guidance where you can access a claim calculator – this will allow you to check your claim for most employees who are paid the same amount each pay period
After you’ve made a claim:
- keep a note or a print-out of your claim reference number – you won’t receive a confirmation SMS or email
- retain all records and calculations for your claims, in case HMRC need to contact you about them
We are told that you can expect to receive the funds six working days after you apply, provided your claim matches records that HMRC hold for your PAYE scheme – They have asked that people refrain from contacting them before that time.
As a guide- If you usually pay at the end of the month, for example, to receive payment by 30 April, you will need to complete an application by 22 April.
It is important that you keep your employees up to date with what is happening, rather than getting them to contact HMRC directly. As you can imagine, they will be exceedingly busy at this time.